To determine the in vivo health impacts of fruits and vegetables and their constituent phytochemicals, we conduct studies in animals and humans. We look to understand absorption, metabolism, distribution, excretion, and effect on development of disease.
Here is some work we’ve published on the topic:
- Thomas M, Puglisi M, Malysheva O, Caudill M, Sholola MJ, Cooperstone JL, Fernandez ML. Eggs improve plasma biomarkers in patients with metabolic syndrome following a plant-based diet. Nutrients, 2022;5:2138.
- Thomas MS, DiBella M, Blesso CN, Malisheva O, Caudill M, Sholola MJ, Cooperstone JL, Fernandez ML. Comparison between egg intake vs choline supplementation on gut microbiota and plasma carotenoids in subjects with metabolic syndrome. Nutrients, 2022;14(6):1179.
- Cooperstone JL, Novotny JA, Riedl KM, Cichon MJ, Francis DM, Curley Jr. RW, Schwartz SJ, Harrison EH. Limited appearance of apocarotenoids is observed in plasma after consumption of tomato juices, a randomized human clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2018;108:1-8.
- Cooperstone JL*, Goetz HJ*, Riedl KM, Harrison EH, Schwartz SJ, Kopec RE. Relative contribution of alpha-carotene to postprandial vitamin A concentrations in healthy humans after carrot consumption. Am J Clin Nutr, 2017;106:59-66.
- Aschoff JK, Riedl KM, Cooperstone JL, Hogel J, Bosy-Westphal A, Schwartz SJ, Carle R, Schweiggert RM. Urinary excretion of Citrus flavanones and their major catabolites after consumption of fresh oranges and pasteurized orange juice – a randomized cross-over study. Mol Nutr Food Res, 2016;60:2602-2610.
- Cooperstone JL, Ralston RA, Riedl KM, Haufe TC, Schweiggert RM, King SA, Timmers CD, Francis DM, Lesinski GB, Clinton SK, Schwartz SJ. Enhanced bioavailability of lycopene when consumed as cis-isomers from tangerine compared to red tomato juice, a randomized, cross-over clinical trial. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2015;59:658-669.
- Kopec RE, Cooperstone JL, Schweiggert RM, Young GS, Harrison EH, Francis DM, Clinton SK, Schwartz SJ. Avocado consumption enhances human postprandial provitamin A absorption and conversion from a novel high-beta-carotene tomato sauce and from carrots. J Nutr. 2014;144:1158–66.
- Goggans ML, Bilbrey EA, Quiroz-Moreno CD, Francis DM, Jacobi SK, Kovac J, Cooperstone JL.
Short term tomato consumption alters the pig gut microbiome towards a more favorable profile. Microbiology Spectrum, 2022:10;e02506-22.
– Also published as pre-print on bioRxiv.
- Mukherjee D, DiVincenzo M, Torok M, Choueiry F, Kumar R, Deems A, Miller JLg, Hinton A, Geraghty C, Maranon JA, Kulp SK, Coss C, Carson III WE, Hart PA, Cooperstone JL, Mace TA. Soy-tomato enriched diet reduces inflammation and disease severity in a pre-clinical model of chronic pancreatitis. Sci Rep, 2020;10:21824.
- Anderson K, Ryan N, Pero T, Siddiqui A, Volpedo G, Cooperstone JL, Oghumu S. Black raspberries and protocatechuic acid mitigate DNFB-induced contact hypersensitivity by down-regulating dendritic cell activation and inhibiting mediators of effector responses. Nutrients, 2020;12(6):1701.
- Knobloch TJ, Ryan NM, Bruschweiler-Li L, Wang C, Bernier MC, Somogyi A, Yan PS, Cooperstone JL, Mo X, Bruschweiler RP, Weghorst CM, Oghumu S. Metabolic regulation of glycolysis and AMP activated protein kinase pathways during black raspberry-mediated oral cancer chemoprevention. Metabolites 2019;9(7):140.
- Cooperstone JL, Tober KA, Riedl KM, Teegarden MD, Cichon MJ, Francis DM, Schwartz SJ, Oberyszyn TA. Tomatoes protect against development of UV-induced keratinocyte carcinoma via metabolomic alterations. Sci Reports, 2017;5:5106.
- Tan H-L, Thomas-Ahner JM, Moran NE, Cooperstone JL, Erdman Jr. JW, Young GS, Clinton SK. β-carotene 9’,10’ oxygenase modulates the anticancer activity of dietary tomato or lycopene on prostate carcinogenesis in the TRAMP model. Cancer Prev Res, 2017;10(2):161-169.
- Teegarden MD, Harper AR, Cooperstone JL, Tober KA, Schwartz SJ, Oberyszyn TA. 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 and it’s C-3 epimer are elevated in the skin and serum of Skh-1 mice supplemented with dietary vitamin D3. Mol Nutr Food Res, 2017;61:1700293.
- Arango D, Diosa-Toro M, Rojas-Hernandez LS, Cooperstone JL, Schwartz SJ, Jiang J, Schmittgen TD, Mo X, Doseff AI. Dietary apigenin reduces LPS-induced expression of miR-155 restoring immune balance during inflammation. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2015:59:763-772.
If you have trouble accessing any work, send Jess an email and she’d be happy to share the paper and its relevant data with you.